Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Ok hey I am back again with the starting problem. I got the

Customer Question

Ok hey I am back again with the starting problem. I got the info form from the owner of the car that explains and tells what code they brought up and what they think the problem is
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.
Tell me more, what have you discovered?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok the code that they have on the sheet is p0603 and also p069E
OK, P069E tells us that the fuel pump control module has trouble codes stored in it, and it's telling the engine computer to turn on the check engine light. That is notable, and when you get this trouble code, the next step needs to be turning the scan tool over to the fuel pump control module to see what those trouble codes are. This is assuming that your technician has a scan tool with this capability. He may not... this requires a high end scan tool. P0603 can be disregarded, it doesn't mean anything except that the memory has been reset. We are right back to suspecting a fuel issue on this, and the P069E points in that direction.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok I am going to send a picture to ya of the bill.
OK.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok that is the code numbers and the details also.
I don't agree with their diagnosis. They want to sell you a new computer based on trouble code P0603. You don't need a new computer to repair that. And they didn't check fuel pump control module codes before they went trying to sell you a computer, either. Is this a GM dealer? It looks like it, from the writing on the repair order.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ya it is
Based on what we're working with, I don't see how they think a new ECM fixes your car. I'd get a second opinion, for sure, at a reputable repair shop. We don't know what the fuel pump control module is saying, but we do know that it's saying something that we need to know..... that's what P069E means, it means "go look at the FPCM for codes." If this were in my shop, I wouldn't do another thing until I had a scan tool on it and found out what the FPCM is saying. You may have a bad fuel pump, the FPCM may know it and confirm that for you, but the mechanic at the GM garage paid no attention to that and was anxious to sell you a computer that you don't need.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so you would like me to get the owner to bring the car to me and out my scan tool on it and read the FPCM?
If your scan tool will access the FPCM, definitely. I didn't realize you were the tech, I thought you were the car owner. If you have a good scan tool (Modis, Verus, et al) then you can diagnose this.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do it on the side but the picture was from a different shop. So would you be able to tell me if my computer will be able to do it?
What's your scan tool?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Snap on solus pro scan tool
I don't have a Solus, I have a Verus, and it does access the FPCM. Solus and Verus are very similar, you can go to your Solus now and build the car (2012 L body Equinox 2.4L), and it will take you to the menu. I just did this on my Verus, and Fuel Pump is listed. Is it listed on yours?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will do it here in about 20 min and let you know bc I also have one more question after this one I s solved
OK!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So that is what I am looking for right?
Yes. If you go in there, it's like any other module, it will have trouble codes, data, maybe some special functions, but you should at least be able to get trouble codes out of it, and go from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok now on a 2004 Chevy Impala the fuel gauge is acting like it has a ground problem I have already replaced the sender what else could it be?
What is the fuel gauge doing, exactly?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is reading way over full
OK, when you say way over full, I assume it's pointing way off the scale, like a 1/4 of the way around, yes?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yup
Fuel level is read by the ECM, and then gauge data is sent over class 2 data bus to the cluster. With a scan tool, you can query the ECM and see what the fuel level reading is, and verify that it's not 150% or whatever. You can also query the cluster with your scan tool and see what it's reading for fuel level from the ECM, and what it's commanding the fuel gauge to do. It's completely possible that all of these things are normal and working, and the gauge is just no good, but I'd check those parameters just for good measure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok and the scan tool I got will be able to do that right?
I believe it will, yes. Again, you can "build" the vehicle on your scan tool, and just see if IP cluster is on your menu.