AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Hey, my 2007 yukon denali xl started clicking when starting

Customer Question

Hey, my 2007 yukon denali xl started clicking when starting so I took it to get check, the starter, battery and alternator. They noted I need a new starter. I replaced the starter and now it won't turn over at all and the engine light comes on when I try to start the auto. It doesn't make a sound when I try to start it....any help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trying to see what issue is. Do you think it's the ignition or fuses or wires etc..again, it will turn light on inside and outside but when I turn ignition, nothing happens..uHey, my 2007 yukon denali xl started clicking when starting so I took it to get check, the starter, battery and alternator. They noted I need a new starter. I replaced the starter and now it won't turn over at all and the engine light comes on when I try to start the auto. It doesn't make a sound when I try to start it....any help
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1GKFK66847J151808
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the VIN. Have you checked for codes in the PCM or BCM?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What's pcm or bcm
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Powertrain control module and Body control module.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm the owner and don't have any equipment, where do I check the codes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! There is a diagnostic connector under the dash on the drivers side. This is where you would plug in to get codes. You should be able to get a scanner or code reader from your local auto parts store (buy, rent or barrow) and plug into the obd2 connector to get codes.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Let me explain how this starting circuit works. When the key is turned to the CRANK position, the ignition switch sends a signal to the body control module. The body control module then sends a signal over the BUS circuit to the PCM. From there, the PCM then grounds the starter relay. The contacts inside the relay close and allow power down to the starter. ANYTHING that prevent this entire circuit from working can and will prevent the engine from starting. So if the PCM or BCM is not awake (because of a blown fuse or a bad module or even a missing power or ground), then it will prevent the starting circuit from working.