Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Pearl, I'm having a problem! My sons car is a 1999 Chevy

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I'm having a problem! My sons car is a 1999 Chevy Malibu LS, 6 cylinder, I've replaced 4 times with a brand new starter, a new alternator, a new battery, a new key switch and the starter keeps burning out! The new starters sounds like it's winding inside as its running! I've gone to 3 different auto stores and they all told me different things! I've spent hundreds of dollars replacing parts, now I'm told it could be the starter relay fuse or the ground strap from the block to the frame! Where is both the starter relay fuse & ground strap located? Any suggestions? Please help me!
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: Brand new
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm racking my brain
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
How exactly is the starter burning up?Are you replacing the starter solenoid, too when you replace the starter?Is the starter making this winding noise when the starter is cranking the engine over or is it when the engine is running?If while cranking, I believe you have to shim that starter.It all depends on when it makes the noise before the starter gear engages or after when the engine starts and the flywheel releases the starter gear.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
If the big thick negative battery cable gets hot while cranking the engine over, than the ground cable between the battery and the engine is bad and most likely loose. If the small ground wire smokes or gets hot, then the ground is bad or loose between the body and the battery and is normally the screw that attaches the negative ground wire to the fender is loose or wherever that wire attaches.It would really help if you could take some photos showing what is burned up on these starters. Or are you just assuming they are burning up?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Here is the wiring diagram, fig 2.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
The starter is grounded through the bolts, so the ground from the engine back to the battery is G112 located on the left side of the engine. That other ground is that thin ground wire G100 located at the left front under the hood. Most likely on the body.