GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, the other day i got a service

Customer Question

I have a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, the other day i got a service traction control/stabilitrak message on my display, the check engine light is on and my truck is running extremely rough...and stalls when sitting still
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: the only code my truck has thrown p0301
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I've changed all spark plugs and wires, brake switch and a bad hub assembly (due to bad wheel bearing) since the problem started
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Hi,So it looks like you changed the spark plug and wires. Did you replace the ignition coil on the cylinder that is misfiring (cylinder 3)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Have you performed a compression test or leak-down test on that cylinder yet? Are you getting any unusual engine noise from that side of the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No on compression test...and no abnormal noises, low idle makes engine sound rougher than normal...hard shifts between 1st and 2nd
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
That engine is notorious for valve issues. If you are getting a deeper exhaust sound than normal I would suspect a burned exhaust valve on cylinder #3. You might be able to pinpoint it with a compression test, but the best thing to do would be perform a leak-down test on that cylinder and see if you can hear it leaking down on cylinder #3.If you had noise I would suggest looking at the lifters to make sure you don't have a bad lifter on that cylinder. Do you have a scan tool to look at misfire data?If you do, rev the engine to 2000 rpm and see if the misfires smooth out and almost go away.