Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Ok, I had to call a wrecker because I ran out of diesel,

Customer Question

Hi, ok, I had to call a wrecker because I ran out of diesel, but my front tank or auxilary was full of diesel, and the rear tank was empty, gas gauge read that I was empty, but, kept on driving because I knew I had diesel in the front tank like I always have since I bought it 2 1/2 months ago. It
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes, it's a 2011 chevy 3500
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. So you ran the rear tank empty and now when switched to the front full tank you could not get it to start?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
to the best of my knowledge there is not a switch to change tanks the system is supposed to automatically switch or transfer fuel from the rear tank into the front tank supposedly. but I don't really understand how it works
Do you know the vin# ***** the vehicle, registration, or insurance card?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 GB 3 k z c l 9 B f 2 0 3 1 4 9.
that's it accept that all the letters are caps
1GB3KZC19BF203149Can you double check it, this is not a valid vin#
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** setup, it will not have a switch. The transfer pump will refill the front tank from the rear tank when the front tank gets below 16.9 gallons. The fuel pump sucks from the front tank. So if your concern is due to running out of fuel to the engine then its your fuel pump to blame, not the fact the rear tank as empty. Do you know how to test the fuel pump power and ground and pressure? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Help me understand why it get diesel only from the rear tank and not from the front. Is the fuel going from the front to the rear and then to the motor? Everything I've read online, says the opposite.
The fuel goes from the rear to the front then to the engine. The rear tank always keeps the front tank full which makes it kind of look like your running the engine off the rear tank because its the only one draining down.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so how does the motor get fuel, if the fuel pump in the front tank doesn't work as you diagnosed
If the fuel pump has failed, the motor will not get any fuel. I have not diagnosed this as a no fuel concern. We have to check for power and ground to the pump and see if there is no pressure from it prior to confirming your truck died from no fuel.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating at the top of your screen was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris