Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

I have no spark @ the coil JA: Good to know. The mechanics

Customer Question

i have no spark @ the coil
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: is a chevy s10 4.3 with no spark
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: no
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: thats it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
Is there power at the pink wire at the coil, with the key ON? What year is your truck?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yea power @ the coil and i have trouble code p0336
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have checked power signal and ground coming from the crank sensor everything is there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2000 s10 the original engine seized i purchased a used engine i believed is out a Chevy astro year unknown is there a chance the reluctor wheel is not same from the original
If all of hte electrical connections were the same between the two engines, then the reluctors are the same. P0336 says you have missing CKP pulses. Is there actually a reluctor in there? Remove the sensor, stick your finger in there, and make sure you can feel the reluctor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok i will check if reluctor is there.
Reman and other engines come without a reluctor, it's possible that someone removed yours for one reason or another.... who knows, stranger things have happened. It's definitely worth checking, though, to make sure it's there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
before i pulled the old engine out the crank sensor connector was in bad condition the wires were strip and touching can these cause a short in the ecm
No, the PCM is fairly well protected against that sort of thing. You have a scan tool, does it read live data? If so, does it show something other than 0 rpm when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
reluctor wheel is there but i couldn't get rpm cause of the of the dead battery but when i was down there i notice the timing cover was about 2 cm off not sitting flush with the oil pan can this cause the crank sensor not pick up signal from the reluctor wheel
How is the timing cover not sitting flush? It fits on locator pins when you install it, did it fit where it belongs when you put it together? I have seen crank sensors back out of their holes just a tiny bit (1/4") and cause the engine to not run, so yes, if there's something funky about that timing cover, I'd square it away.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
timing cover sitting flush i plug in the scanner and theres no rpm