Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Engine hot aed the temp sensor and the guage still doesn't

Customer Question

Engine hot aed the temp sensor and the guage still doesn't work and the fans still are running at bstartup and the a/c comp won't come on/c off message on my 2010 impala ltz 3.9 engine. J just replaced the temp sensor and everything is the same
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the fans come on but the guage doesn't work and the ac comp won't come on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 10 months ago.
Bring me up to speed, how do you know the engine is hot if the temp gauge doesn't work? Do you have a scan tool that reads live data?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think it's hot, but the computer thinks it is. My wife drove it home yesterday and it was full of coolant and ran fine, as far as I could tell it wasn't hot. I changed the temp sensor on the engine and nothing changed. The gauge doesn't move and the fans come on immediatly and the a/c compressor won't come on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Getting ready to change the thermostat right now
What does the scan tool say for coolant temperature?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no scan tool
OK, you said the computer thinks it's hot, I wasn't sure what you meant by that. You'll need a scan tool to figure this out, you have to see what the computer sees. I'd be looking at engine coolant temp, to see what it says. If it says -40F, then the coolant temp circuit is open and needs to be repaired. If you want to be doing this sort of thing on your own, consider getting a scan tool that reads live data, it's an invaluable, necessary resource to have.