Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

I'm Larry, I have a 2007 silverado 1500 Z71, and mt Stabilitrak

Customer Question

Hi I'm Larry, I have a 2007 silverado 1500 Z71, and mt Stabilitrak light comes and goes, and it also sets off my check engine light, the codes on the check engine are always the same, p171 and p174, this a lean to rich code, now i have replaced the ECT temp. and cleaned the MAF sensor and the streeing wheel sensor, what else can i do ??
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: I now have to look for them, sorry
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I don' think so
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
When these codes are set together, there are a few different things that can cause this issue. First- check the Fuel Filter. Remove the filter and try to blow through it. Any resistance and the Fuel Filter will need to be replaced. If the fuel filter is ok, a fuel pressure reading should be taken to ensure the fuel pump is working at normal capacity. If these check ok, next move onto the air filter housing, duct and filter element. Inspect the duct for any cracks, holes or loose connections. Make sure the filter box is sealed tightly and correctly. Inspect the filter element and make sure it is not excessively dirty, restricting air flow. With the engine running, listen for any "sucking" or "hissing" noises. Inspect as many vacuum lines on the top and rear of the engine as you can see, looking for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. If these check ok, an intake air leak should be done to make sure there are no leaks. With the engine running, carefully and sparingly spray some throttle cleaner around the base of the intake. If the engine responds, this is a sign of a leak and the intake gasket will need to be replaced (make sure to visual inspect the manifold itself for any cracks at this time as well). If these all check ok, then the problem will lie in the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Those MAF "cleaners" they sell usually don't solve the problem. What happens here is, the "filament" inside the sensor breaks and this is what causes the fail. So, a cleaner will not fix that. If the filament is in tact, and the cleaner did not work, then the MAF will need to be replaced. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept so I may be credited. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.