Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Cam 2007 Silverado won' crank, installed new battery and

Customer Question

hi Cam 2007 Silverado won' crank, installed new battery and still no crank.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No door locks, no pwr windows. no hi beam lights. remotes don't work.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just paid the fee.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 months ago.
Start by checking the larger fuses in the underhood fuse panel. You may find one or more of these fuses blown. Let me know what you find there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuses were checked prior to asking for help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anything else besides checking fuses?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Guess I'm on my own for a while.
Sorry for the delay. Do you have a test light or voltmeter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes. A digital multimeter.
It seems like it could be security related since my remotes and my door/ Windows won't operate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No dome lights either when I open the door.
Sounds like it may be in the BCM (body control module) Is your 07 the new body style, or Silverado Classic?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's the newer one. Bone stock except for a alpine deck that was installed 2 years ago.
Not sure on how to verify BCM issue. Battery , connections and fuses checked good.
Horn, low beams , power mirrors, heater all work.
Power locks, Windows, high beams, dome lights are not working.
If all fuses are good then the next step in troubleshooting is to connect a scan tool. Use the scan tool to see if the BCM is powering up and to check for any trouble codes in the system. If the scan tool will not communicate with the BCM then the BCM is faulty and will need to be replaced. If you do not have a scan tool capable of communicating with the various modules on the truck, you will need to have a shop do this or see if your local parts store has a loaner scan tool you can check out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kinda figured that was a likely suspect.
I don't have a scan tool. I'll check on burrowing one.
Is there a way to reset the BCM myself. Battery was replaced and it might have gone idiot mode on me.
There is no reset for the BCM. You may try disconnecting battery negative cable for at least 30 seconds, just to see if it will do anything.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried that. Even shorted the 2 leads together for a minute or so to drain any circuits.
Here's the weird part. When you first turn the key on, only the engine symbol comes on. After 5 seconds or so, other symbols light up ( security symbol and others) and they go out in a few more seconds.
It's like the security check is delayed but then it goes thru the check and passes.
The security light is controlled by the BCM, this also leads me to believe the BCM is the faulty component.