Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

1997 Chevy express 3500 I took out distributor and no car

Customer Question

1997 Chevy express 3500 I took out distributor and no car won't crank I replaced it of course
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No crank. I replaced the distributor. To my understanding timing may be off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.
Did you mark the rotor location, and put it back into roughly the same clock position (rotor AND distributor housing)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No . Didn't know about that . But I have rotor facing in same position I took it out. I have already crank the car a couple of times already don't know if that would affect it
Yes, for future reference, when you remove the distributor from anything, the outer housing AND the rotor need to be put back the way you found them. So, now you're at a point where you need to start from scratch and get the distributor planted correctly. I'll attach the procedure here for you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I find TDC
Remove spark plug #1, put your finger over the hole, and rotate the crank until you feel pressure blow against your finger. That's when you know you're on the compression stroke. Then, look at the crankshaft marks as illustrated in the article, line up the marks on the crank balancer and the timing cover, and that's it. It's on TDC of the compression stroke of #1 cylinder.