Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 98 chevy 1500 with 5.7 vortec, I have no start

Customer Question

Hi Jason I have a 98 chevy 1500 with 5.7 vortec
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no start condition so customer wanted fuel pump replaced did so only to find that not to be the problem the ecm went out not allowing the fuel pump to come on and there was no spark the following has all been replaced. New flashed ecm, crank sensor, cam sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ignitiom *ignition switch ignition coil, ignition module, and the tach wire was cut from the ignition coil to rule out grounding Still no start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
with no DTC's
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

no spark out of the coil and NO injector pulse ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
injector pulse yes spark no
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

fuel pressure ? fuel pump running when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't give the amout of pressure due to not checking checking with having a new fuel pump. I have read about it having to have 58-60psi for spark
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

ok but the computer is running the pump when cranking it over ?

if so then with the key ON does the pink wire at the coil and the ICM show 12 volts with the key ON ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

does the black/white at the ignition module show a confirmed good ground ?

if so disconnect the ICM with a meter set to DC one lead to the white wire terminal and other meter to the black/white wire terminal what does it read for volts when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not able to do that now due to rain
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

we have to see if we are getting a 1 - 4 volt reading when cranking it over

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok is there anything else
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also while we are talking about it if doesn't have that 1-4 volt reading what would that mean?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if nothing then that white wire is bad between the computer and the ICM or the computer is missing a power or ground

if it has that then plug back in the ICM and unplug the coil connector with a test light connected to battery power when cranking it over does the white/black wire terminal blink the test light ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok am I able to continue this with you tomorrow?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

yes sure thing

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you will get further information tomorrow
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

sounds good i will respond back as soon as i can to you tomorrow

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With further testing this is what I have found crank sensor doesn't have a hot/power wire going to it. The icm white wire to black/white wire is not getting 1-4 volts.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where do you suggest I go from here?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gary are you there?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

at the crank sensor with the key ON none of the wire terminals show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not one
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if the pinks at the coil and the ICM show 12 but the pink at the crank sensor does NOT show 12 volts that pink wire is bad between the crank sensor and those 2 pink wires for the ICM and the coil

if you can find it bad just run a new wire from the crank sensor pink to the pink on the ICM and it should have spark and run once that is fixed

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What about the other 2 wires at in not having 1-4 volts
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

the other 2 wires at the crank sensor you mean ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the icm
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

it will not have the 1 - 4 volts with NO crank sensor trigger

the 1 - 4 will come back once the crank sensor is triggering once that wire is fixed or restored to 12 volts

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'll give it a shot
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back for FREE with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I ran a wire from icm to the crank and I'm still not starting is there any thing else you can suggest?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

now the crank sensor shows 12 volts at it ?