Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Start my 1997 Chevy Silverado & she floods without

Customer Question

Start my 1997 Chevy Silverado & she floods without starting..has great spark???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Usually when cold..but not always ..I pull the fuel pump relay & the truck still runs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.

The fuel pump will run without a relay on these trucks. The pump gets voltage from the oil pressure switch, in case the relay fails. Later models don't do this, but yours does.... as long as there is oil pressure, the pump will run, even if you shut the key off, which is why you sometimes hear the pump run for a brief moment after you shut off the key.

If it's flooding, however, that's something different. The fuel pump doesn't have the ability to flood the engine, that fuel still has to enter the engine somehow, either by leakage, or by the computer misfueling the engine. The fuel pressure regulator is inside the intake manifold, and they're known to leak. This usually results in a hard start when hot complaint, not so much when it's cold. Cold flooding is usually due to a faulty coolant temp sensor, which erroneously tells the computer that it's much colder outside than it really is, resulting in way too much fuel and an engine that won't start due to flooding.

A scan tool that reads live data would reveal the coolant temp sensor issue. When the truck is ice cold, the intake air temp and coolant temp sensors should read identical, and they should be equal to whatever the ambient temperature is. So, if it's about 70F when you go to look at it after the truck sits overnight, then the coolant and intake air temp should be about 70F, too. Replace any sensor that deviates more than a couple of degrees from that.