Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

GW Got a 99' C2500 Suburban with both rear wheels

Customer Question

GW Got a 99' C2500 Suburban with both rear wheels skidding/locking when taking turns.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Already replaced diff lube
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Jacked up the rear end, in Neutral, both tires only will spin same dir with disengaged rotor.
Loud ping/clank heard coming from rear, going into turn right before wheel locking/dragging. It's like instead of the one rear wheel spinning during a turn and the other going in the opposite direction, instead both wheels spin in the same direction and speed causing friction/skipping/skidding to inside turning tire.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a fault with the internal gear/pumpkin assembly in the differential that isnt spinning properly in turns.I have seen this fail in the past before needing replaced to correct this fault can be the bearings that start to fail in it or one of the spider gears in it that is binding.I would have this checked into further to see if this is the cause for sure and then replaced if found to be at fault.This sounds like what you have occuring here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete