Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How is the brake system related to the engine?What

Customer Question

How is the brake system related to the engine?What components in the engine and how are they effected when the brakes are applied/ not applied? Either for automatic/ manual. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, can you answer the following question, generally speaking:Explain the inter connectivity of the following auxiliary systems to the engine
− Lubrication System
− Cooling System
− Brake System
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

The only relation between the brakes and the engine is vacuum. The brakes are vacuum power assisted. There is a brake booster that a vacuum hose goes from it to the intake manifold for engine vacuum. This vacuum gives power assistance when applying the brakes. If the vacuum is lost, then you have a rock hard brake pedal that takes 10 times as long to slow a vehicle down. That is the only relationship between the 2

The lubrication system is part of the engine itself. Without it, the moving engine parts inside the engine seize instantly. The oil is sucked up from the oil pan into the oil pump and then the pump circulates the oil thru small passages inside the engine block to the top end of the engine to lubricate the camshafts, valves and lifters. It also circulates it to the lower end to lubricate the bearings for the rods and crankshaft the turns

The cooling system circulates coolant thru passages in the engine block to cool the engine and prevent overheating. The waterpump is what circulates the coolant. The coolant then returns to the radiator where the engine fan blows air across it to cool the coolant, where it is then circulated thru the engine again.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey Eric,Thank you. So if im hearing you right....Intake Manifold -> hose -> brake booster -> which aids in applying force with the master cylinder?Could you elaborate a little more on the brake system and any minor changes for the LT4 engine in relation to previous generations (ex: LT1)
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

That is correct. The intake supplies vacuum to the booster via a hose and this is what aids the master cylinder and brake pedal in applying more force with less effort to the brakes. Think about how hard your brake pedal is with the engine off and then how firm but easy it is to apply with the engine running. This is due to the engine vacuum and brake booster. If your booster fails or loss of engine vacuum to it, the pedal will fill rock hard like the engine is off.

There have been no changes to the hydraulic braking system, including the booster between the LT1 generation and the LT4. Still the same setup.

The only changes have been in the addition of computerized ABS(antilock braking system), which incorporates wheel speed sensors, accelerometer and control module to apply the brakes hundreds of times per second to prevent the wheels from locking up on emergency braking.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?