Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

I have. 2000 chevy s10 pick up, 4.3 liter.automatic. Problem

Customer Question

Hi i have. 2000 chevy s10 pick up, 4.3 liter.automatic. Problem is that it looks like its leaking water under the plennum gasquet i wonder how is this posible? Cause i have not seen this before.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 7 months ago.

It is possible because there is coolant that runs through the intake manifold, the fix is replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets. Very common on GM V6 engines.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can u tell me the info on how to do it and labor time please

I do not have access to the step by step for it but you drain the coolant, take all of the connectors and hoses off of the intake manifold. Remove the distributor and the 2 fuel lines in the rear. There is an EGR pipe that you need to unbolt. Then remove the bolts on the edges of the intake manifold, and remove it. Leave the throttle body and everything on it. Then you remove the old gaskets, clean both mounting surfaces and replace them. Then re-install and bleed the cooling system. Labor time is about 4 hours I believe. If I can get access to the step by step I will send it over to you. Fairly big job but it is doable.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do i have to do any marks on distriburator?

You can't adjust timing on those engines so the distributor is either in correctly or it isn't, but it is possible to put it in wrong. Best thing to do is set cylinder 1 and top dead center on the compression stroke, then remove the distributor. When you remove it it rotates slightly one way because of the gear that it meshes with on the cam, so lift it up and mark it where it ended up after lifting it. Then when you install it set the rotor at the mark, and when its installed it should line up with the arrow on the distributor if it is in correctly. If it doesn't want to go all the way down but it seems lined up correctly the issue is probably the oil pump drive, so you might have to play with that until it fits.