Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My interior lights are staying on in my 2001 Chevy camaro

Customer Question

My interior lights are staying on in my 2001 Chevy camaro have changed all door switches and trunk switch and bcm
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scan tool that communicates with the BCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but had a tech come out today and checked it and we even put a new one in it to see and it did the same thing you can hear the relay kick on but does not turn off even after the ten minute battery save kicks in the lights go out but the relay still stays with power at the circut
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to reply back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone#(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 12 months ago.

I'm still here, I'm sorry, I replied to you toward the end of my day yesterday.

It's not that I think the BCM is faulty, but a scan tool that would communicate and read BCM data would be an invaluable diagnostic resource here. You can see BCM inputs, if there was a door switch circuit that was stuck open (for example) you would see it in 2 seconds.

Do you have a scan tool that enables you to look at this data?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a tech 2 scanner on the way

OK, how soon will you have that?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
3 days I hope just bought it

OK, I'll leave this open, and we can come back to it when you get your new scan tool, and we can figure out what's keeping the lights on. Sound good?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
sounds good

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got the tech 2 scan tool how do I use it
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 11 months ago.

Have you figured out how to attach it and turn it on, etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have

OK, and you are able to "build" the vehicle? Year make model engine etc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, have you accessed the body menu yet? You should be able to click through until you get to body control module.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It comes up power train body chassis gauge data

OK, select BODY, then you should see Body Control Module, and select that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It says nothing about body control module I did come across some data that told me about gauge sweep gauge lights on and if the truck was open this thing came with two cd,s one just says user manual 13.0 and the other say's tis 2000 do I need to put this on my pc first then load them on my scanner

No, TIS2000 is for programming.

Let me grab my Tech 2 and build it like you're building yours, so I can see what mine looks like.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I need to be back at the car for this
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm on 2001 passenger car I have 4 choices power train body chassis diagnostic circuit check

No, I see the problem.

The BCM is not on the class 2 data bus on this car. I assumed that it was, as most 2001's and newer are well connected, but Camaro lagged behind in this respect, apparently. I'm sorry about the confusion on that, I hope you didn't buy a Tech 2 just for this reason.

What this means is that there are no scan tool diagnostics available for BCM on your car. You can, however, check these inputs with a multimeter or test light, I can get you the schematic to do that, if you'd like.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep I was told by my dealer that if I bought a new bcm it would have to be programmed by a tech 2 scanner but sure I guess anything will help also why does the scanner read my mileage at 21504 when my gauge reads 54456 origanal miles

Disregard what the scanner says, mileage is programmed into the cluster and not changeable. It's common to see differences like that, but they don't mean anything.

BCM does not need to be programmed on this car. I would have said the same thing, off the top of my head, since virtually every other 2001 GM car and truck has a programmable BCM, but Camaro lagged behind, likely because by that time, it was already on the chopping block at GM and they stopped investing in upgrades to the model.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does that mean that if I plug a new bcm in this needs be programmed there is a fiction on here that alighns the pcm with the vcm is that what their talking about well I plug a new bcm in to the car and nothing worked the alarm key remote would not work you could not change your settings by holding done the door lock switch but the car did start

A new BCM needs programming, but only to the extent that it needs to learn the key code, which it learns automatically as soon as you plug it in and turn the key. To that end, yes, it needs programming, but you don't even know you're doing it, as it's automatic.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's what I said it started fine but none of the relays even clicked in the new bcm
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh and also sometimes the headlights come on in day light it just did it I opened the hood and then shut it and they went off what's up with that

I don't have any idea what's up with the headlights, they aren't connected to the hood latch in any way.

That tells me you may something much more sinister going on, because the BCM doesn't control the headlights at all, in any way. Do you have any history of issues with water leaks, water intrusion into the electrical centers, rodent damage, flooded car, anything like that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No we just bought the car about 4 months ago one owner car never been wrecked there is no sighns of water leaks the car is in excellent shape. This all started after my son removed the factory cd changer

That really shouldn't have anything to do with it, but out of curiosity, have you been back into the trunk to look at those connectors and see if there's any damage there, or did you try plugging the CD changer back in to see if the problems went away?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can pull the bcm fuse put it back in and all lights our off close the door still of open the door they come on and stay on you can hear the little relay click on but it does not click back of

To attack this one symptom, I would be chasing the circuits with a multimeter. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep checked that and plugged the changer back in yes I have 6 multi meters

OK. I am getting ready to leave my desk for the day. Can I follow up with you later tonight or tomorrow, and I'll get you the schematics and things that you need for this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good you can also call me at(###) ###-####my name is son
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you forget about me

Not at all, I just didn't have access to the schematics I needed last night.

See attached. If any of those wires is grounded at the BCM, the lights will come on. I'd be checking those with a multimeter to see what the story is.

I don't know what to make of the headlight issue, how it's connected to this concern, or how it's connected to the CD changer. "Coincidence" is the only thing that makes sense, at least at this point in the game. It might become clearer later, but for now, we have to treat these things individually.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should I be looking for on my meter and should I check with all this stuff closed then check with it open what should it read closed and what should it read closed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you get my ? Last night I won't be able to work on the car today cause my son has to work but if you could shoot me the answers to my previous ? Thanks

I'm sorry, I was away last night and this morning, I just got back to my desk.

If any of the wires coming from the door ajar switches is grounded, the BCM sees that as a door ajar input and turns the lights on. Door closed, the switches are open. Door open, the switches close and ground that circuit. So, if that wire is simply chafed or pinched somewhere in the car, and touching ground, the BCM does not distinguish this, to the BCM, a grounded circuit means a door is open, so it turns the lights on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How about if one of the grounds our not grounded would the circut show an open and the light would stay on

You're talking about the ground reference for the BCM. If the BCM ground reference was missing or open, the BCM wouldn't be powered up.

I wouldn't overthink this, at least not until I got to those circuits to see if one of them is grounded.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just checked out all the circuits by the schematic you gave everyone would show .35 when open and 11.59 when closed all but one that was the black with white stripe pass door it stayed at 11.59v opened and closed I have put a new door lock accurator on there still the same. There is 3 black with a white stripe going in the bcm but I'm sure I got the rite one the other two didnot show the same voltage .35 like the others what should I do next

If that passenger side door circuit stays grounded (I assume that's what you're telling me, with these voltage readings... is the other multimeter lead attached to battery positive?), then either the switch is grounding it (and you replaced that) or the wire is simply touching ground somewhere (pinched, chafed, damaged, etc.).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try and chase the wire. Could I run two jumper wires from the door lock mechanism to the bcm in,s to see if the factory wires our shorted to ground but if it is shorted to ground that should blow a fuse rite or wrong
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now you did understand that with the driver door open I get .35v and then when I shut the driver door I get 11.59v but when I do the pass side door open door or closed door it still reads 11.59v on the black and white wire .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you forget about me. Plus wouldn't the light go out if I unplugged the connector from the door lock module

I'm sorry, this didn't show up on my feed until just now for some reason.

If that wire is shorted to ground between the door and the BCM, the interior lights come on. It won't open a fuse.... it's designed to work this way. The door latch switch grounds when the door is open, to tell the BCM a door is open, and the switch opens when the door is closed. It's a fine circuit, except that if that wire gets grounded by accident somewhere, the BCM can't distinguish between a short to ground, or the door latch grounding the circuit. Ground is ground, the computer is just looking for a ground here, no matter where it comes from, and when it sees ground on that wire, it turns the lights on. Computer is just doing what it's been told to do via software.

It sounds like the passenger door isn't changing state. Is the switch in the passenger door no good? You can unplug the door latch switch and see if the voltage changes on that wire. If so, you need a new switch. If not, that wire is grounded somewhere else.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll check it but we just bought it at Chevy a week ago thinking this would fix the problem we changed both
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can't I run two new wires from the door lock module to the bcm I know the one goes to the black with white stripe were does the other wire go

You only need one wire from door latch to BCM. It would circuit 746, if you look at the schematic, in the upper middle, the wire from passenger door latch to BCM. The other wire from the door latch just goes to ground.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm gonna try that ill let you know but first I'm putting a alternator on it went out yesterday

OK!