Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My 1986 Chevrolet sprint plus won't stay running what do I

Customer Question

My 1986 Chevrolet sprint plus won't stay running what do I do
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.

How long does it run before it does? What happens when it dies, are you at an idle or going down the road? How do you get it started again?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it only starts for about a second or two and then it quit and I noticed that the previous owner put a lawn mower fuel filter in the car and also I forgot to put the oil cap on driving down the highway so I think there might be oil in the carburetor but it won't it won't drive if I keep the gas pedal down but as soon as I let off it died

It runs if you keep your foot on the gas, is that the way I read it? But if you let it idle, it stalls?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The carburetor is the heart and soul of the fuel system on this car. It's a complicated carburetor, one of the last years they actually made carbs because the emissions requirements were becoming so stringent that the carbs were getting too complex and difficult to manage.

The short answer here is that I would source a rebuilt carburetor for this car, and simply install it and drive it, because that will almost certainly solve all of your fueling problems. There is probably a solenoid that has failed on this carburetor that is shutting off fuel at idle, but finding a replacement solenoid will be no small feat, if it's possible at all. You will have better luck finding a reman carburetor for this out in the world somewhere.

That's the direction I would go with it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay where do I find a reman carburator and how much does it cost

Rockauto.com has them for $351. There are two different possibilities, you'll need to find the numbers on your existing carburetor and make sure you order correctly, but Rockauto has stock on them.