Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500. My reverse lights are not

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500. My reverse lights are not working. But I can`t see anything wrong. Are there any relays? And how manny fuses are there for these lights? I have had them blinking for a while everytime I put it in reverse. Like a strobe. But now they are not working at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I measured the power and looked if the fuses are ok.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I also need to mount 4 new Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors. How is this done? How do you program them? I`m going to a workshop tomorrow morning to do this and to do my EU-control of this car. And need everything to work when I`m there or I don`t have a car from April
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.

The lights are controlled by the body control module. There is a fuse for this circuit, I'll look it up and see which one it is, but I'm assuming you checked fuses already, yes?

I can also explain the TPMS sensors for you. Let me get a schematic for the backup lights for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are there more than 1 fuse?Thanks

No there is only one fuse, it's labeled VEH BCK/UP in the underhood fuse block. Locate this fuse, have an assistant put the truck in reverse with the engine running, and see if you have power present at this fuse when it's in reverse.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I will chase up an assistant.It will be very great help to get an explanation on how to mount new TPMS sensors on my car. I got 4 new, since there is an alarm I can`t delete.

You have to remove the tires from the wheels, of course, because they install from inside the rim. Do you have tire removal equipment?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will go to an workshop tomorrow to get it done. But how do you program the new TPMS to work on your system?

Once they are installed, they need to be relearned with a TPMS activation tool. It only takes a few minutes, but you must have the tool. Your local tire store or garage probably has one, and they'll relearn the sensors for you for a nominal fee.

The truck has to be ready for relearn, you accomplish this by turning the key ON, then holding the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob until you hear a horn honk. Then, the tech will start at the left front wheel and activate the sensor, until the horn honks, then repeat on the remaining wheels with RF, RR, and LR. When it's done, you'll get a double horn honk to tell you that it's done, and that's it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Regarding the reverse lights;
I got power out on the fuse. And fuse is OK.
(No.15: VEH BCK/UP)What could be the fault?
I assume the lights is LED?It has been flashing always when I put it into reverse, like a strobe. (atlas one of the lights) but turn normal after a few seconds. Now it`s not working at all.

Do you have a trailer wiring harness adapter installed? Or any other aftermarket device?

It should be a conventional bulb, at least it is on American models, I can't speak for Norwegian model trucks. Have you tried replacing bulbs yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It looks like LED lights, one under the truck, each corner. Square,. Is this the originals? It could be not LED. It just looks like; and the lights is really strong.There is a trailer wiring harness adapter installed.

Those aren't original, again, at least not in America. These are probably aftermarket, perhaps even Grote lights, do they say Grote on them?

Check for power and ground at the wires that lead into these lights, using a test light. Do the backup lights that are integral to the taillights work? There should be a clear lens in the tail light, that's the factory backup light.