mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Replaced alternator and one battery in 2003 duramax. still

Customer Question

replaced alternator and one battery in 2003 duramax. still don't think it is charging.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: got "battery not charging" light about 75 miles from home. eventually, all dash dials and lights went out. about 5 miles from home, it died. jumped it and made it home barely. went to store, alternator tested good. rerplaced a battery that was 7 years old. same story. finally replaced alternator, and still no go. no dash lights, so not sure if it is charging.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: get 14v all over when running,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: yes. hope to fix myself
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.

have you had the other battery tested? a bad cell in a battery can cause those symptoms

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
both batteries tested. one bad, the other said good, but only half charged

you said 14v all over so im assuming both batteries and alt. what about with a/c full blast blower motor full blast and high beams on. to put it under a heavy load

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have not tried that.

this will increase the load and truely test the charging system

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
tried it. the voltage was actually over 15.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still no dash. i trickle charged it last night and the dash lights were on until some point today. so there is no "battery not charging" warning, but then again, there are no lights on dash.

then it sounds like its operating at full strength. when did the dash lights stop working?

do the guages work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
last night. after about 20 minutes of intermittent "battery not charging", the dash lights went out. in another hour is when the truck died electrically. jumped it, and got the last 5 miles to home where it died as soon as i pulled in. charged it overnight. changed out the bad battery. started it, and had all the lights working. ran it two minutes and tne battery not charging light came on again. that's when i replaced alternator. old alternator was creating 14v as well.

i would try changing the other battery even if it tested good. it may be week causeing an abnormality in the system make it think its not charging.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what if i just unhooked it?

that will work too to test the system.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Put a battery from an old truck in and it worked for 5 miles. I took new alternator out and had wife return it. Put in old alternator and no dice. Looks like i am going to have to buy another alternator and cross my fingers. That would be 2 new batteries and alternator......

sometimes parts come in bad things do happen. how does it seem with the different battery guage lights working?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope. When i had 1 new battery, 1 known good old battery and new alternator, everything worked. Put in old alternator with that battery combo and gauges worked, but said battery not charging for few minutes, then nothing. Same when i put in 2nd new battery

then if definitely sounds like you have a couple bad alternators i would try with a new good manufacturer.

if you could take a moment and leave me a positive rating it would be appreciated.