GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic that stalled out while driving.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic that stalled out while driving. While cranking there is a high pitch noise coming from engine. It sounds like no compression. It seems to be getting fuel. There is no spark and there is no compression. I only checked compression on cylinders #1 and #2 then gave up thinking tool was faulty but I checked it on another vehicle today and tool works properly. I pulled cam cover and watched timing chain as I cranked and the chains seems pretty sloppy. What can I do next and is this worth repairing?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Thats the goal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: It has about 160,000 miles and spark plugs seem to be fouled.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you will need to tear down to the chains and inspect the damage. I would replace the chains if that is the issue but before assembling, do a compression test on all cylinders to be sure there is no valve damage

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since there is no compression on the 2 cylinders I checked would that automatically indicate valve damage? I am correct in thinking this is an interference engine?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

it is not automatic at all. I would at least give it a chance.