Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have 1999 chevy astro. My tail lights are not working. My

Customer Question

I have 1999 chevy astro.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My tail lights are not working. My brake and signal and reverse do work. I replaced all the light bulbs. Two wires (yelow and orange H ,G) are getting hot. Where should I go from here?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! Are you saying that the running lights dont work in the rear but do work in the front? Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the front does work normal
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN. One minute while I pull a wiring diagram for you.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Ok, if the rear blinkers and brake lights work, then we know the ground for the system is good because they all share the same ground(s). The problem is going to be a power supply to the running lights in the rear (provided the sockets themselvs) are good. The wire I suspect that is bad (open or broken) is going to be the brown wire.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

It is somwhere between the switch and the rear lights. You can trace the wire to find out where it is broken/open, or you can simply just run a new wire from the brown wire (coming from the switch) to the rear lights. Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good hopefully it works.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Thank you and have a great day! Happy easter!!