EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician

03 Avalanche 2500 8.1 Ltr. Coming back from town today

Customer Question

03 Avalanche 2500 8.1 Ltr. Coming back from town today noticed a loud electric motor sound coming from back seat. Went to the computer, when I got home, to order a new fuel pump and discovered I may have two. How would I know which one I need
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have installed 4 fuel pumps in 3 previously owned chevy 1500 350 cu. in. Chevy Silverados. Never in 3/4 ton trucks before.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I don't think there has been anything else in this vehicle related to this problem
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.

Hi. There is a left and right hand tank fuel pump. The best way to determine which pump is noisey, is to listen with a screwdriver or stethoscope to your ear and to the fuel tank and see if you can determine which one is noisey.