GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 1987 Chevy K5 Blazer with a 350 v8 5.7 liter TBI

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Chevy K5 Blazer with a 350 v8 5.7 liter TBI and 2 months ago I drove it to the gas station and then home, when I parked it at home, it wouldn't start again. At first I thought it was the alternator, did the test, jumped it, took off the negative terminal and it died. After replacing the alternator, it wouldn't even turn over when jumped but it would try to and then I noticed that I didn't hear the fuel pump. So I had it towed to my friend's shop where I then replaced the fuel pump..... still nothing. There is no power getting to my fuel pump. I have checked the relay and when I put a wire between the jumper cable clip and the positive battery terminal and then put that wire directly into the thing that plugs into the relay, the fuel pump will run. I have replace the relay, nothing. I have replaced the oil pressure switch, nothing. Fuses are all fine. What the heck is going on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, removing the battery cable to check the alternator is not a test of anything. the system needs 12 volts to work and by removing the battery cable, nothing can work including the alternator.

anyway, the original issue, the motor would not start or would not crank????

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When it first broke down, it would turn over when jumped, only after battling me, of coarse, but now when I jump it, it tries to turn over but I haven't been able to turn it over for a long time. I forgot to say also, that my headlights, dome lights, cigarette lighter, stereo, and horn are not working.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, it sounds like your battery is very low. as I stated before, you need 12 volts for everything to work. start by charging the battery up to 12.6 volts then lets see what happens

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It still won't turn over.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, it does not crank or does not start??

what is the battery voltage???

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its cranking. It just won't start.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, did you check for spark??? try spraying some carb cleaner into the air filter and see if it starts and stalls.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There's spark.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, and if you spray carb cleaner into the air filter??

Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out