Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2004 Chevy Avalanche air bag light on. Making noise from the

Customer Question

2004 Chevy Avalanche air bag light on. Making noise from the air bag on the passenger side. Do you know what the problem is?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The service air bag indicater on the dads panel is on. Making a terrible noise that sounds like it is coming from under the dash on the passenger side
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Unhooked the battery to reset the computer. Beat on the panel where the air bag is located. This made the service indicated go off for a second
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have noise under the dash around the air bag itself on the passenger side and you can beat on the dash or air bag and got the light to turn off temporarily this noise is either an internal fault in the air bag with it needing replaced or an issue with a component rubbing on the air bag wiring or connector behind the dash needing repaired/corrected to resolve this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers especially the air bag computer.Once this is done the code can be diagnosed and repaired.The air bag connection and wiring will need checked to make sure they are o.k or if they need repaired or replaced as well.

I suspect with what is described one of these is the cause here needing corrected but the codes do need checked first.In some cases places like Auto Zone will read the fault codes free of charge for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete