Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Why does my heater core keep plugging up on my 1994 Chevy

Customer Question

Why does my heater core keep plugging up on my 1994 Chevy Caprice classic station wagon with a 5.7 Anshe why does my heater core keep plugging up on my 1994 Chevy Caprice classic station wagon with say 5.7 Engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If it has been replaced and plugged up again over time this can be due to debris in the cooling system passing into the heater core and plugging it up over time.I would have the complete coolant system flushed out including the drain plugs removed from the engine block to drain out any lower settling debris.If this has been done already and a new heater core installed this can be an issue with low coolant flow into the heater core.This will cause debris to settle in the core and cause this and is usually caused by low flow from the water pump circulating coolant in the engine to the heater core.

If the heater core was not replaced but was flushed once or more times and continues to plug up this can be an issue with the core not open enough to allow proper flow through it and will plug up again and does need replaced.I hope this makes sense here.If all of these have already been checked or performed let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete