Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I HAVE 2009 CHEV TAHOE WITH HEATED SEATS THE DRIVE SWITCH

Customer Question

I HAVE 2009 CHEV TAHOE WITH HEATED SEATS THE DRIVE SWITCH SHOWS THE HEAT IS ON BUT THE BACK NOR BOTTOM GET HOT
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: THE DRIVE SEAT DOES NOT GET HOT. THE SWTICH SHOWS IT IS WORKING BUT DOES NOT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOTHING YET
JA: Is there anything else the GMC Mechanic should be aware of about your GMC?
Customer: I DO NOT HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is Pete.If when you press the seat switch to turn it on if there is a click heard under the seat this can indicate the control unit is ok.
The most common failure for this here is a fault with the seat bottom and/or back element under the seat covers.
I have had to replace several of these elements for this exact fault here.They burn out and if one seat bottom or seat back element fails it disables the other element in the seat.
The seat covers need removed to inspect the elements for burn marks and the affected elements replaced.
I recommend replacing both back and bottom elements as the other usually fails soon after the faulty one is replaced.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is the module for the left seat
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
The module is located under the drivers seat attached to the seat frame itself.Some models have two modules under there.If yours has two it is the smaller one closest to the front edge of the seat.If it only has one it is called the memory seat module and that module controls the heated seats and if replaced has to be programmed by a dealer after the install before it will work.
Usually runs around $200 for the module and about an hour to replace and program.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Now that I am back at my PC here are some pictures and diagrams of this system.It is the memory seat control module that controls the heated seats on this model here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6w6i2qpbne4okp/he-03-23.gif?dl=0

The seat module is #6 in the diagram below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wgxbhe6srzambv/mod-03-23.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when I turn the driver seat heater on the module under the passenger seat clicks
sois this the module for the driver seat
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

The module to control the drivers seat is located under the drivers seat.The click is most likely tied into the passenger module which is tied into the drivers module here.

The module is most of the time o.k. and it is the elements that burn out.The elements are numbers 1 and 4 below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itrdl6oyrvct4wo/ele-03-23.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete