K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I installed an aftermarket radio in my 2000 chevy tahoe and

Customer Question

i installed an aftermarket radio in my 2000 chevy tahoe and now the gauge back lights do not work. if you override it they work but that is the only way. I re-installed the factory radio and the backlights for the gauges still will not work
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what backlights not working? do they work on the HVAC control etc. i know you say guages, but are other backlights missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dash cluster, hvac, radio backlights do not work unless you do the override
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

to be honest? I cant remember all of them, what do you mean by the override?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a dial switch beside the headlight switch. i believe it says dome override
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, yes, that would be the dimmer switch, they change them up all the time thus why I asked, SAre you sure you checked the fuse for the dash lights? it sure sounds to me like the fuse is bad, even if it looks ok, it should always be swapped out , do you need the actual fuse location info?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe i'm just missing it
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok here is the link, It is fuse #14, lower left of the instrument panel. Its a 10 amp fuse, swap it out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that didn't fix it
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

chkg things

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I am just not finding what I had hoped to find, I dont wanty to guess so,, I am going to opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should? be along soon to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does your Tahoe have the auto headlight feature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. if i turn the headlights on manually the back lights still do not work. They will only come on if I roll the dome override switch all the way up and it clicks
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , what you will needto doisremove the switch and measure the voltage on the wire I have the aquare around in the diagram I will post below. With the headlamps in park or on the voltage should change while you rotatethe dimmer. If it does not (and I'm fairly certain it will not) the headlamp switch will need to be replaced.

I'll also poste info on removeing the the switch below.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.