Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

How you doing? Changing rear axle seals that are leaking

Customer Question

How you doing ?
Changing rear axle seals that are leaking
Working on a 2012 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado pickup, 2wd...
Have removed C-clips and axles still wont come out...
Any suggestions or advice on what i'm missing ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Below is a procedure I have located for this model here.If this does not apply to your model (as sometimes the rear differentials can be different) let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It appears the info you sent me is for an 8 lug HD 1500 is a 6 lug
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would you like me to send a few pics of my diff i'm working with...
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

No,unfortunately this is all the info I could locate on this one here myself but someone else here may have more info to help you.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description it sounds like the bearing and shaft have become one. You're following the correct procedure, even with the slide hammer. Most likely you will have to replace the axle along with the bearing. The procedure below is for the axle also is the procedure for replacing the bearing.

Rear Axle Shaft Replacement

Rear Axle Bearing Replacement

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.

Hi There,

I noticed you had viewed my answer, don't know if it was to late, but I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know how this worked out for you.

Thanks so much.