Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2000 Chevy Impala.My car ABS light has started to come

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Impala.My car ABS light has started to come sometimes when I push Brake Peddle.This does not happen all the time.When it does happen I hear a sound ,like a mmm as if a hydraulic Valve is closing or your cell phone is vibrating.I checked pads,calipers, rotors.master cylinder and all is good.Vehicle steers good and stop good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.

This is going to be due to a problem with one of your wheel speed sensors. As you're coming to a stop at low speeds, sometimes one of the wheel speed sensors will be slightly out of range or adjustment, and cause the speed signal to suddenly drop to zero as you are slowing the vehicle. The ABS computer sees this as a wheel that has locked up, and responds accordingly.

You're probably going to need a new wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing (the sensor is part of the wheel bearing, but is replaceable separately as well). The trick here is figuring out which of the four sensors is giving you trouble, and it can be any of them. The way this is determined is with a high quality scan tool that can read live ABS data, so the technician can drive the car to replicate the problem, and see in real time which of the sensors suddenly drops to zero, then replace that sensor.

If you don't have a scan tool like this, you'll need to refer this to a good repair shop that you trust. The fix here is probably not more the $350 or so, at worst.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks,I will have it checked.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Please remember to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. Good luck with it!

Did you get this worked out? Wanted to follow up and make sure you got what you needed from me.

Please remember to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.