GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Starter in truck engages while truck is running

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.
So about your vehicle,

what engine is in your truck?
IS there a remote starter or anything aftermarket installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.3 There was a remote that was removed a year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delayed response. They asked me to pay again.

OK, how often does this happen Sam? Is it predictable?
My thoughts are first and issue with the relay in the underhood fuse block.

Second wiring issue under that fuse block where mice and such like to nest, a

Third is a fault with the wiring at the starter or the starter itself.

See the relay is the end control of the starter and that is controlled by the PCM using several inputs to prevent such a thing from happening. So I suggest a good visual inspection of all these places paying close attention to the wiring at the starter and from there, and then start in the specific spots I mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot drive the truck. Last time I started it the starter reengaged instantly.
I changed the relay, it did not make a difference.
I checked under fuse box. There was a mouse nest, there was a damaged wire but nothing to do with the starter.
I find it curious this started when I changed the starter.

Oh, thats the key,

Check the position of the wiring at the starter. It sounds like you have one lead turned around and its contacting the other one. If they are not touching then your new starter is faulty internally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the 4th starter.
It turned at one point without the key in the ignition or the solenoid wire attached. That was starter number 2. It was just resting against the frame with the power wire connected. I touched the negative to the battery and it started spinning.
I made sure the wires were not touching.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all grounding which seems to be good. Ran wire from alternator mount to frame, body and battery.

Ok, if you take the smaller wire off the starter, and connect the battery, does it spin?
If no, does that wire get power all the time with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At one point with the starter not bolted in, it did spin without the small wire connected. And the key was not in the ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if the large or small wire have power all the time?

\small wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check but like I said it spun at one point without the small wire connected. Unfortunately I have to do this on the ground in the driveway and it is about and hour long effort to get the starter out.

If it spins with the small wire off, that can only be internal.
You can check the starter by applying the power and ground using jumper cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE did bench test 2 of the starters, they worked properly. I have been pulling my hair now for three weeks on this, and I don't have a lot to start with! lol

Ok, lets look at how your installing it. Are you using anything other than a wrench to tighten the cable onto the starter? The post can spin and cause issues like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tighten them lightly, I know you can twist the wires inside to make a short. I have to use a socket because there is no room for a wrench

What brand of starters are installing then?

everything your telling me leaves me thinking you should keep talking to the supplier. With it spinning only with the large cable installed and confirming its not touching the smaller stud can only leave the starters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first 2 were from a jobber, remanned. The last 2 are AC Delco remanned

I am not sure what else I can tell you.

If starter is spinning with ONLY larger wire installed and smaller wire off, it can ONLY be the starter!.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But they bench test fine unfortunately. Hookup the jumpers and short to the solenoid and everything works as it should.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard to imagine getting 4 bad starters

GO back and verify your smaller wire then. If they bench test fine then for some reason, something is being missed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen if there was a positive leak to the engine, and also having the positive cable on the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course everything should be realy messed up then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be on line again later? I have to go to work.

If the positive cable was shorted to the engine block, it would get hot and smoke/start a fire.

I should be around, yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you we will chat later. If you are not around will I get someone else? Have not used Just answer before.

I will get the reply.