Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Chevy express: one idea was to replace the new acdelco

Customer Question

2002 Chevy express: one idea was to replace the new acdelco bushings with Moog bushings
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2002 Chevy Express 3500, steering loose/sloppy as if being in the wind. Already replaced upper and lower control arms, pitman arm, steering gear, tie rod ends, new Michelin tires, front brake calipers and pads, and rear drums and shoes. The problem persists.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hopefully at the alignment shop that replaced the steering box
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, the intermediate steering shaft upper coupling and the lower coupling that connects to the steering gear(see attached) need to be checked for excess play, especially the coupling at the steering gear box. If found, replace the intermediate shaft with integrated couplings. This is a fairly common cause of the loose/sloppy steering

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just so I am clear, have them check and replace if necessary the intermediate shaft lower and upper couplings; and not replace the bushings?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

That is correct. It doesnt sound like it is in the bushings. And I have seen many of these couplings wear to the point of slopping steering

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just one last follow-up, the drifting/sloppy steering problem did not happen until after the replacement of the front upper & lower control arms with new AC/Delco control arms (then the steering gear needed to be placed, which was new 9 months ago) and the problem is better, but still very evident.Thank you,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I meant the steering box was again "replaced"
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

That really does point to the lower coupling that connects the intermediate shaft to the steering gearbox. It is a ujoint type coupling and taking apart from the gearbox multiple times to repeatedly replace the gearbox will weaken this joint due to the design.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?