Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

I was reading up on ground wire placement. I have a 99 Chevy

Customer Question

I was reading up on ground wire placement. I have a 99 Chevy Suburban k1500 5.7 l. When driving, it will cut out, gauges peg and engine sputters...loss of power. At other times it drive with now problem. recently had the shop put 1k into it. New cap, wires, plugs, o2 sensor and it ran great for two weeks. All problems gone. then when driving in cold weather and using the 4x4 it started acting up again. I know that I have a bad 4x4 sitch and it comes in tomorrow...but it seems like there is an electrical issue. perhaps a bad ground somewhere. it is not the fuel pump as it was tested and it has a new ignition switch.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The trans isn't slipping. It has full pwer when it isn't acting up. Doesn't seem to have a pattern. yesterday it was at a stop and when accelerating from a stop it died suddenly. Then, 10 seconds later, we restarted it and limped it home. It idles problem, when parked. Revs fine in park. Problem is only when driving.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

There is most likely a code stored in memory of the ecm/pcm. Do you have a scan tool or code reader to retrieve codes or have you had them retrieved? If so, where there any and if so, what codes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a scanner. I did have it scanned when coming back from our trip and service engine came on. It was preheating on o2 sensor 1 bank 1. However, I've not had it scanned or reset codes since the 4x4 service came on. I can it replace switch until tomorrow when it comes in.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

If there are no codes I believe you are loosing either spark or fuel, so I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to where you can watch it, so you may need a longer hose and also hook up a tachometer, unless you have one so you can watch if after the engine dies and you try to start it and it don't start if it has both fuel pressure and a tach cranking rpm of around 100 rpm. It may be too quick to see if you loose the tach while driving and the engine stalls, but constantly watching for it might help and you are going to have to catch it in the act. I suppose you could hook a laptop computer up to the diagnostic link connector and monitor and log the tach signal and see if you loose it a split second before the engine stalls, but honestly I have never done that yet but I do know how to hook up a laptop to the dlc. You need an adapter from obdinnovations for like $15 and some software. I use forscan from this place

This is the adapter I bought,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I actually made a scan tool from a $10 android cellphone and the wifi adapter with the forscan software for android cellphone. It will retrieve the codes from all the modules. On my 2005 Ford, there all like 7 or more modules but it should also retrieve your codes and plus you can log the tach.