Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Why is 6.2 available in 1500 but not in 2500HD?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help. That is a great question. The 6.2 Ecotec has 420 horsepower and 460 ft. lbs. of torque, so my only theory is that this is a performance oriented package that GM is going for quick, race truck style performance, and they didn't want the extra weight of the bigger springs, bigger differential, bigger everything on the 2500 chasis. As that would slow that truck down some. I don't even think you can special order it form a dealer with a 6.2. But you might want to inquire at a few anyway. That is about the only reason I can think of why GM wouldn't offer that engine in a 2500. It's a fairly new engine as well so maybe in the next few years GM will ditch the 6.0 vortec in the 2500's and put this 6.2 in. Especially if enough people show interest in it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds possible..but disadvantages in weight for the 6.2 applies to 1500 as well...
MY 4TH 2500 HD SILVERADO 6.0....will probably not happen....what a shame considering all great features I have enjoyed over the many yrs
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

I know, maybe GM is testing this 6.2 in a lighter chasis, I'm sure there are some reasons behind it, but I agree if they are going to put it in the 1500 they should at least offer it in the 2500 as well. the 1500 weighs 4500-5400 lbs the 2500 weighs 55-6500 pound curb weight. So those bigger springs, rotors, differential, all that stuff adds up. Maybe GM is kind of "bench testing" that 6.2 in a lighter truck to see how it holds up before putting it in something heavier. Only theory I can think of.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This subject not worth $28....and still dont have an official answer
I do value ur opinions and thank you
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

Alright, Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Eddie
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Did you still want some help with this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still dont know the official unvarnished reason for that decision to not put the larger engine in the larger work truck.....usually has $$ at the root...
Maybe I have had a few too many beers and years
of logical answers from Chevy..
I was about to order my fourth FOURTH 2500HD crew long bed 4WD and try new 6.2 engine. Not a fan of Diesel not worth it unless you have no choice to get job done.
I may end up in Dearborn to understand official logic of this one!
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. I have inquired about this also to a few GM engineers and to them the answer is simple. The 6.2 cannot be used because of its design. The 6.0 liter to them is a stronger and more robust engine that can handle heavy loads associated with heavy duty trucks. The 6.0 has a much stronger block and base engine with designs such as 6 bolt main caps that are supposed to give it longer life. The 6.2 does not have the same strength and rigidity as the 6.0 liter and that is why it is not used. I am not saying I agree in any way, shape or form but this is what is comes down to. They should have never discontinued using the 8.1 liter big block. I hope this sheds some light on this. If you need more information please let me know. I can also opt out of you would like someone else to jump in. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It may be simple but not to me....
if u have a contact in Dearborn HQ they are only ones that will
have the answer....just let me know
Something complicated or just BS
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 8 months ago.
To them it is all about design and money. They could have and should have designed the 6.2 to go into the HD trucks as well. I really cannot give much more information than what I have. I will also opt out and see if anyone else can help further.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Greatly appreciate ur efforts.....If I get THE answer will feed back to you guys...
I will not give up on this.....they haven't dealt with me on this type question....they will now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Jeff Luke, the General Motors Executive Chief Engineer for full- and mid-size trucks, would be the person to ask. Here are some of his comments recently "

(POWERTRAIN)

Because HD customers tailor their trucks to their specific needs, the 2015 Silverado and Sierra will offer a choice of three fuels -- gasoline, diesel or compressed natural gas.

The standard engine is a rugged 6.0-liter V-8, engineered and tuned for low rpm

pulling power and great dependability."

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Sep/0926-silverado-hd-sierra-hd-remarks.html

You must be logged in to view Media Contacts

Register here and contact Jeff Luke and ask him, https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/account/create_account.html?id=1458489119263

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your extra efforts...I knew we could get there....
will try and communicate with Jeff tomorrow
thanks again
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Best way to have VERY short conversation with Jeff Duke re tech question on HD SILV 2500....
TRIED BUT NO ONE COULD GIVE LOGICAL ANSWER
OWNED 3 2500 HD 6.0 IN A ROW....SUPER TRUCKTRYING TO REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY I CANNOT BUY MY 4TH SILV 2500 HD WITH 6.2L??? ( I have engineering background)
MANY THX
RICHARD MANTLER (huge HD supporter)
RICHMOND TX(###) ###-####ANYTIME***@******.***
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

It's ***** *****ke not Duke and did you ask him yet? If so, what answer did he give you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sent him email...will call him today and let u know as soon as I do
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

If anyone has your answer, he does!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Agree.....btw your message to me said Luke not Like
....
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Jeff Luke. I spent a good 1/2 hour searching for that contact info, so JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mike......if u spent that long lookimg up Luke insread of Like....then u wasted ur time...
Wonder if using Like might go pretty quick
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
U never did admit that u told me Like was his name not Luke.....Its in your note to me right?
Plan to get back to u after I do what u suggested
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I missed the U when typing it in the second time. I is right next to U on the keyboard and I am not a good typist.

I gave you the link to him, Jeff Luke, the General Motors Executive Chief Engineer for full- and mid-size trucks.

Why am I waiting for you to get to back to me? To learn what he said? I cannot comment on what he says, he is the Chief Engineer, so what he says would be closer to the truth as far as why there is no 6.2 in a 2500.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I knew why u want to get feedback....same reason I would too if our situation was reversed
I cant wait to do it....be patient
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

The post timed out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Said post timed out...what??