Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 02 3.8 engine cel on with po443 ive changed both

Customer Question

I have a 02 monte carlo 3.8 engine cel on with po443 ive changed both valves and check for voltage. It has 11.8 still after 3 cycles light comes back on.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: evap issues on car changed both purge and evap solenoid proble still there
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried what I explained in pervious note
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Whichy valves have been replaced? Are you saying that the canister purge valve and canister vent valve were both replaced? What is reading 11.8 volts? Have you smoked checked the evap system as of yet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't have access to a smoke machine and yes I changed vent and purge
Valves. And I found the hoses to the throttle body. The voltage reading was at the harness
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Have you checked the power and ground at the purge solenoid?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked the power @ purge it was 11.8
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Excellent! You will need to check the ground coming from the PCM. The voltage on the signal wire from the PCM should go to 0 volts when the computer is commanding the purge solenoid to open. If not, then either the driver inside the PCM is bad or there is a wiring issue between the PCM and purge solenoid.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Here is some info on this code.

P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Control Circuit Malfunction

Possible Causes
Purge solenoid ignition circuit is open (check the IGN-1 fuse in U/H fuse block)
Purge solenoid control circuit is open, shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
Purge solenoid connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and moisture)
Purge solenoid has failed
PCM has failed

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

DTC P0443

Circuit Description

An ignition voltage is supplied directly to the evaporative emission (EVAP) purge valve. The EVAP purge valve is pulse width modulated (PWM). The control module controls the EVAP purge valve ON time by grounding the control circuit via an internal switch called a driver. The scan tool displays the amount of ON time as a percentage. The control module monitors the status of the driver. If the control module detects an incorrect voltage for the commanded state of the drive, DTC P0443 sets.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok it's my boss so I'm trying to figure it out I'll have try this when I get back to work thanks I'll let you know what I find
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good! Your welcome.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.