Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 1997 Chevy suburban and it appears that the door

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Chevy suburban and it appears that the door latch is broken I can't open it from inside or outside. I have physically moved the lock rod in both directions and doesn't help. I need to know how to get the door open so I can take the panel off to repair the problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately when a fault like this occurs here the door paneling would need removed as best as possible with the door stuck shut which means it would need repaired or replaced after it is removed and the door is opened.Once the panel is removed then a flat blade tool or similar can be used to move the latch components to try and release it.Unfortunately when this type of fault occurs like this here this is what has to be done to correct this issue or a lock smith contacted to see if they will come out and use their tools to see if they can open it.I suspect the latch does need replaced but getting to it will usually require one of these options here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I have finally removed the panel but still no luck on opening the door. The c- latch will not release while pulling on the door latch and trying to push the c- lever
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Have you tried pushing or pulling on any other levers for this issue here to see if it will open then at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have pushed, pulled, pryed and everything else imaginable. The lever that locks around the striker will not release. It is not moving at all, I assume the mechanism that releases this lever when opening the door is what is broken. Just have no other ideas to open it
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,the latch itself is definitely at fault here.Unfortunately in this situation here it may need cut out then replaced since there is no way to remove it without the door being open.I have had to use a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut out the latch or in some cases if easy accessed the striker then open the door then replace the latch and if needed the striker as well.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove this to replace it when this occurs like this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete