Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

I have a 1998 gmc k2500 seirra sl truck and every time my

Customer Question

I have a 1998 gmc k2500 seirra sl truck and every time my head lights are on my blinkers on the back blink on both sides of the truck when only one blinker is on.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: one day i was driving and my husband was behind me and said that my rear lights would blink very awkward. for example right blinker on and all lights would blink like strobe light flashing. the switch to turn the lights on have been replaced and the turn signal by the steering wheel has been replaced. And no visible broken wires.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, Are there any flashers that could go haywire and cause this to happen only when the lights are on.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: There used to be two different plug ins wired on the back. so we had a mechanic wire it correctly. And it worked fine. But i live in wisconsin and after a really cold snap my truck acted up. Coincidence maybe but been dealing with driving only during the day for awhile.
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 months ago.

Do the front turn signals both flash as well? Do they flash at full intensity, or are they just dimming and getting brighter over and over?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The blinkers in the front blink like they should. About around the same time my fuel Guage is flipping back and forth also
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The light bulbs on each side blink bottom and top bulbs blink opposite. When left turn signal is on then both bottom bulbs blink then both top blink.

This sounds like a failure of the ground circuit. When the ground circuit goes open, these devices will find the next best ground, which is usually through another component, and that will cause these kinds of issues.

I would start by looking at G103 and G104, these are ground cable connections. G103 is at the thermostat housing under the hood, very easy to see. G104 is on the backside of the right cylinder head, much harder to see, but G104 is very prone to corrosion and simply falling apart. Check these first, and let me know if you find the problem there.

Did you get this worked out? Wanted to follow up and make sure you got what you needed from me.

Please remember to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.