Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

2012 chevy malibu

Customer Question

2012 chevy malibu
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 1 year ago.

Need to pull codes to be certain but usually only a throttle body or accelerator pedal will cause reduced power on your year. Can you shoot me the Vin so I can pull up the vehicle build.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin # ***** The codes have been pulled thats what lead me the throttle body and I have talked to a machanic or two about the problem and they have sent there cars to the dealer and the dealer has replaced the accelerator and the throttle body and that car worked for a month and the same identical problem has returned and the car still isn't fixed. I keep hearing that there is a problem with this car and the dealer is'nt giving the facts to consumer about this car. I understand that this is a chronic problem with this particular car.

I can probably assume you got a p2135 because most people will go straight to throttle body with that one. That having been done I would go after the ecm connector. They suggest crimping the terminals for better tension but I prefer to replace them as trying to tighten them hasn't worked for me much. If you go to any gm dealer and go to parts you can get new terminals but most parts guys don't know how to find them because they don't inventory them. I can go and take a picture of what tray and exact location for you in the morning. All dealers have the same ones so it will be the same anywhere you go. Were there any other codes than that one?

Terminal number is###-##-####its in tray 23 I'll get a picture of it in the morning for you.

here is the connector its the middle one gray on the inside, re-pin terminals 33 34 35 and 54.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. I can't verify p2135 until in the morning.

no worries i cant take a pic o those terminal trays till morning anyways, if you need i can explain to whomever how to remove and install those pins too, i actually have a pdf with a pretty good write up on the process i will try and link to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Thank you.

If parts makes you find the terminal yourself the trays are numbered like so and its right where I point in this tray.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another question in regards ***** ***** 2012 Malibu. How does rain or moisture play a role with this particular problem.
I also have noticed that the car has the same effect after it rains really bad. can you explain?

It may be a harness issue if the problem occurs when it rains, water will frequently cause shorts in corroded areas in the harness. You can look for areas of concern by spraying a salt water solution on the area and manipulating the harness by hand and seeing if the code will reset immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the pins that you were telling me to replace on the harness/If so!! Do agree with me that i should replace the harness because the pins that go bad are actually in the harness.

that would be a huge process to replace the entire harness, i'm sure that would take care of it but it's a bit of an extreme measure to replace the entire engine harness over it, but the pins are part of it. I would repin it and using a spray bottle and moving the harness by hand try and duplicate the concern because its likely just one or two wires.