Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Thinking about purchasing a 2007 chevy cobalt teenage

Customer Question

Thinking about purchasing a 2007 chevy cobalt for my teenage daughter. 3 codes came up on the car
P0615 circuit relay
What does this mean? PLEASE AND THANKS
Car has 154,000 miles
No accidents
New tires
New rotors
New O2 sensor.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

The P0480 is pointing to a problem with the Cooling Fan Relay. The P0615 is pointing to a problem with the Crank Relay. It's not very common for two relays to fail at the same time. There are a couple of things that can cause the P0615, like a problem with the Starter Solenoid or a wiring issue, however, to have two relays that are both monitored by the on-board computer both show faults at the same time would lead me more to believe the problem lies in the fuse/relay box located under the hood. The fuse/relay box would need to be removed and inspected for any wiring issues. If there are no problems found, then the individual codes/possible causes would need to be corrected.

As for the P0171- this points to the fuel/air mixture running "too lean". This can be the case of either too much air getting into the system, or not enough fuel. First things to check here would be the fuel filter being clogged, the fuel pump failing and/or not providing enough fuel pressure and a test for intake air leaks.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.