Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

I have a chevy malibu 2004 i have the emission code GROSS

Customer Question

I have a chevy malibu 2004 i have the emission code GROSS leak/no engine shuts off while in idle also makes vibrations noise and shakes and power my CAR off..when I restart the car and accelerate it's fine until I hot a red light
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It only cuts off if i drive more than 15miles at a time i let it cool off for about a hour and it's good for another 15miles ...the engine is quite unless it's in idle it will shake and cut off..restart and it will turn on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

If you have a gross evap leak it could be the purge solenoid. If it's stuck open when the car is running it will pull the fuel vapors into the intake manifold at all times and not just when it is suppose to. This will cause the rough running and stalling because the engine is basically flooding out.

These could be separate issues as well. The evap leak may not be related, but since you have all this going on at the same time, it seems likely.

Most of the time the best thing to do is have a smoke test done. This will put smoke into the evap system, then they use a large bright light to find the leak. If the leak isn't the purge solenoid, then it should be repaired and then go after the running condition.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.