Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

I just bought a 2003 malibu but the previous owners lost

Customer Question

i just bought a 2003 malibu but the previous owners lost their key fob. i just got a replacement fob and want to know how to program it please
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: how do i program the key fob to my car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: a
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: like 3 or 4 different ways ive read to try online
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, contrary to what you may have read online, the only way to program a key fob for this vehicle is with the use of a scan-tool that can interact with the on-board computer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for. Please keep in mind, not everything you read online is provided by real-life Techs with experience. If you have access to such a scan-tool, I can provide you the procedure in PDF format. Download the PDF file here:

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.