GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

The ignition key will at random times not turn completely to

Customer Question

the ignition key will at random times not turn completely to off and come out of the ig switch. it will go forward and start the truck but not turn fully to off. Sometimes jiggling the shift lever seems to help but not routinely. Dealer said the key I was using, a replacement, was too long and made a new one. It still gets locked up. This is very inconvenient and drains the battery. Help.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not trying to fix myself, have taken to dealer as I said previously. Dealer said key too long. Replaced key. Still gets locked up.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Anything else ? Such as?
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  thomas hill replied 7 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** will try and help you today with your question

so I'm thinking that the problem your having is caused by the trans range switch its thinking that the car is not in park so it will not let you remove the key and thats also the reason why when you jiggle the shifter it will work sometimes i would replace the transmission range switch

what year and model car is this?