Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

I have a 98 GMC Surburban with ambulance rear doors that has

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 98 GMC Surburban with ambulance rear doors that has been leaking water into the back rug. I ordered a new main seal and also the upper straight seal as well. The instructions I saw online mention to put the white dot on the new seal by the striker bolt but I am not quite sure if they are referencing the upper or lower striker bolt? Also there is a piece of extra cushion material inside the seal about 6" long is that supposed to lineup with the right hand rear heater connection or the top or bottom of the door. Also there are some weep holes that were stamped in the rubber but not quite open all the way should I just open them up a bit with a little bit? Thanks Dave
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put the new seal on but I am not sure I have it in the right location
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No what I mentioned in the first text should cover it
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 months ago.

The holes in the door seal are there so air can escape as it compresses (when you close the door). It's not critical that the little pieces are still clinging to the holes where they were punched out, the seal will still work.

The extra cushion material that sticks out of one end of the seal is designed to be inserted into the other end of the seal, where the two ends meet. This meeting point is typically at the bottom of the door opening somewhere, the position of which is not critical, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the door since any gap is prone to leakage, and water doesn't flow upwards.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
then the white dot on the new seal goes next to the upper latch? I do have the piece of extra cushion that is about 3" long where the two halves meet. But the 6" of extra cushion I was referring to is closer to the white dot. Should that extra cushion be positioned to cover the top of where the two doors close? Thanks

Ah, I think I see what you're getting at now.

The "extra" bit (to my recollection, as the parts catalog is currently down and I can't look at it myself) is designed to fill the gap between the two doors. I think you have it exactly right: it should be positioned to cover the top of where the two doors close.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will move that cushion between the doors. One last question, I saw where GM made a revision to the seal and added a mastic adhesive / sealer inside the groove part that slides onto the sheet metal. My replacement didn't come with that. Did you ever install one with the sealer? Since I don't have that, is silicone seal better or the yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive? Thanks dave

I would use the yellow 3M adhesive. These strips just have a habit of falling off the pinch weld, this bit of adhesive simply keeps them in place.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Perfect. Thanks again for the help Jerry.

You're welcome, good luck with it.