GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have an '07 equinox that is having some electrical issues.

Customer Question

I have an '07 equinox that is having some electrical issues. I have a fairly large parasitic drain on my battery ~1.5A. I have traced it to the interior lighting. When I pull the interior light fuse the draw drops to ~250mA. With the fuse out, my right front turn signal will not operate but the rear does. I can push the map lights and it will cycle other interior lights not on that fuse. When turning right the lights will blink as well.
When the fuse is re-installed it operates normally again, but the drain goes back up to 1.5A. When all of this started the car had been dead for a few days. I replaced the battery as it was old. When I reconnected everything the theft deterrent alarm sounded and then my radio quit. I have read that it may need to be reprogrammed, however, there is no, or intermittent display. Could this be related to the parasitic drain?
I have replaced the battery and alternator through this process. ( probably needed it regardless of this problem) The BCM seems to be working properly as there are no other issues and I inspected the board and there were no bad connections. I am at a total loss and do not know where to go from here.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

does the battery die overnight???

when you checked the draw, how long did you leave it sir while testing???

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will die overnight and gets low in about 9-11hrs . It was several minutes that I checked it. The door was open as I could not find a door switch to tell it the door was closed. The radio fuse is not blown either.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

when you do a parasitic draw test, you need to close the doors, put you amp meter in line and let it sit for at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours for the modules to go to sleep. otherwise the test is inaccurate.

Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

how are you making out

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I won't be able to work on it until the weekend. It gets me to work and back. The radio started working randomly as I was pulling up to my house.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.