GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Replaced Steering column in 1998 GMC 1500 now it will start

Customer Question

Replaced Steering column in 1998 GMC 1500 now it will start and immediately quits HELP
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: before replacing steering column, truck wouldnt do anything, no guages, nothing would move on truck, no security light or anything, so replaced whole column with steering wheel and new key and all works except when it starts it quits
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing since replacing steering column
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Only I drove it home one day and the next day when I got in it, everything was not working on dash and it wouldnt do anything, didnt seem to have any fire to engine, and that is why we replaced column now all that works and it cranks and starts first try but dies immediately
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 months ago.

Hello, did you put a whole column in with everything with it? or did you change things like key and tumbler etc?