GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have backup light issue on mu 2009 Duramax 2500HD. I have a

Customer Question

Have backup light issue on mu 2009 Duramax 2500HD. I have a backup camera and it is triggered off the dark blue wire down near drivers left foot. anyway before they went out I started getting greyed out image on my backup camera display is in mirror and I am using GM harness. Fuses seem ok but I need to start check voltages at various points. I have no other issues besides backup lights. If I find no voltage at fuse panel in engine bay does that indicate the circuit board relay for backup lamps is bad and would require a new fuse panel?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 8 months ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.

You did not mention if this is Factory Back Up Camera & Monitor, Dealer Installed or Aftermarket
I assume it is Aftermarket, & if you are connected to the DARK BLUE wire located in PIN 22 WHITE PLUG of the BCM, I would start Voltage test there, as the DARK BLUE wire should be Voltage + in Reverse with Key ON.
Not knowing how your Camera & Mirror are connected, but ONLY the Camera should be connected to the DARK BLUE wire without the use of a SPDT Relay to turn On Monitor in Mirror.
IF to much draw is on the DARK BLUE wire, then this can affect the BCM & cause damage to the circuit

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is aftermarket but only using the Dark Blue as trigger for display. The lcd has separate power and ground. This has worked fine for last 2 years and just started to act up recently. I thought I had a dirty connection at camera (tailgate bezel mounted) but it quite working all together before I had a chance to investigate further.

This has worked fine for last 2 years and just started to act up recently.

.

I understand, but many things can cause a difference in AMP draw over time

.

You posted the DARK BLUE wire is the "trigger for display".......?
I assume the Camera Voltage is thru the Back Up Lights?............or can you turn the Camera on anytime?

I would check the harness at the Tail Gate, under the truck also connections to the Back Up Lights (if used)