Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Door latch, s10 6 cylinder 4-wheel drive. Hard to disconnect

Customer Question

door latch
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: s10 6 cylinder 4-wheel drive. Hard to disconnect the lock and door hooks from the hinge.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to reach down into the door cavity to unhook the lock and arms but it is hard to see and not sure how to pry out or getting the hook arms in proper place.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I sought on the internet how to do this and they said keep the latch bolted in, too unhook the arms. but it is hard to see. so let the latch go free and try to position the best angle to unhook arms
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year of this model here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Door latch is difficult.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

What year is this model?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
chevy s10 6 cylinder*****LS modle
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2001
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,your rods are most likely connected to the latch with these locking retainers that open up with a flat blade tool to then remove the rods from the latch.They swing open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxmv2pc9cp5bb5o/la-03-13.gif?dl=0

Either this or the rods swing out partially from the latch and then pull out if they have retainers like this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qjepctp7nt1duf/fdr-03-13.jpg?dl=0

In most cases I find it easier to loosen both handles and the latch to get the most movement out of it to access and remove the rods/linkages so it can be removed from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete