JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2007 hhr the engine was replaced a couple of years

Customer Question

hi, i have a 2007 hhr the engine was replaced a couple of years ago. the engine has after market writing that says "2006 cobalt". I am having trouble finding a picture that matches that year and model. I would like to know how to identify the engine by some other means.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: there is an error code that says the camshaft position sensor is at fault. This happened with the original motor just before it blew. So yes, I'm looking to repair this myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I don't know the exact error code. It was a while ago it was read. The mechanic who replaced the engine said the one he was removing was used also. No one told us that at the dealer we purchased from. Can driving with this error code cause enough damage to destroy an engine?
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 8 months ago.

is it making noise?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no. it starts and seems to run okay.

can you tell m the cod numbers

code

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello?

have you scanned for diagnostic cods an what are the code numbers?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was scanned a while ago. I do not have the exact code number but was told it said camshaft position sensor fault. My main problem is figuring what engine I have exactly

cobalt and hhr s have the same power plant im sure its a 2.2 echotech if you post a pic I can advise you....whats the 8th digit of the vin

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
D. I appologize but I am having trouble with the chat page. It's not showing your answers untill I go to my questions page.

cobalt and hhr s have the same power plant im sure its a 2.2 echotech if you post a pic I can advise you....whats the 8th digit of the vin? do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
D is the digit. At this time I do not have access to the code reader

the 8th digit will be F B or P

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There are no f, b, or p.Only the D
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure how a the VIN will help identify a replacement motor.

well that would tell me what its suppose to have and if you give me a picture of what you do have I can confirm...since ive seen a million of them... if not you will need to remove the black cover an find the casting number which will not be easy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, I have the cover off and haven't seen a number, so I agree with you there. Let me try to get a picture.

k

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
maybe this worked.

that's a 2.2 your run of the mill cobalt /hhr & Saturn power plant

8th digit of the vin should be a F

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks. when I look at pictures on-line they don't match what I have. Should I ask for hhr parts when I get parts or cobalt? also the car is a 2007 hhr and motor says 2006 cobalt.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here is the vin

yes that's a 2.2 vin code f for a cobalt but vin code D2.2L (VIN D, 8th digit, opt L61 on the hhr I was thinking backwards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. I'm trying to test the wiring harness. I have continuity between ground and 2 of the 3 wires. Normal?

what code are you getting? ill get you the test chart