Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

A few days ago the computer told me I had 45% life on my

Customer Question

A few days ago the computer told me I had 45% life on my fuel filter left (2012 Silverado, 83,000 miles). Never been this low before--always change before 50%. Today I lost power and the "Change fuel filter" message appeared. Pulled over and turned ignition off--tried to restart, but no go. I'm wondering what I'm looking at. Does this message always relate to the fuel filter, or could something else cause it? Did I damage my injectors?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there is a fuel issue this can trigger the change fuel filter message as usually the filter is most common to cause low fuel rail pressure and cause this fault here.I would start with replacing the filter in case it is restricted and see if this resolves the issue.If it does not then the fuel system will need tested to see if you have failing injectors needing replaced or an issue with a fuel injection pump or fuel pressure sensor as these can be common.This usually wont cause the injectors to become damaged but this will need checked into/tested further to pinpoint and repair the fault if the filter does not correct the issue here.I would start with having fault codes checked then the fuel system tested.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete