JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2005 Impala. 3400 engine. I replaced the thermostat

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Impala. 3400 engine. I replaced the thermostat and throttle body gasket today. Now car will not start. If I press gas as I start the car it revs high and stays on for a few seconds, then bogs down and stops.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all electrical connections. Took off and re-seated the air intake at the throttle body and at the filter canister.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I am aware o.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 9 months ago.

why did you initially pull the intake?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I looked to change the thermostat without pulling the exhaust crossover. I pulled the throttle body to get to the thermostat. Was that a mistake?

no that's the easy way to do it...is the gasket ripped?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the gasket. It is brand new.

all the connectors are good? no bent electrical pins?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There were only two connections. On the air intake hose, and on the piece at the air filter canister. I pulled both off, and reattached them. There were no bent or broken pins.

is the maf sensor plugged in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that was the one against the air filter canister.

does the throttle plate move freely?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can this be checked without tearing everything down to the face of the throttle body?

the air duct needs to be pulled that's it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took off the air duct and MAF sensor. The throttle plate moved with no problems.I kept the electronic connectors plugged to the sensor and air duct. I cranked the car and it ran for a few minutes at higher idle, until I turned off the car. I installed the MAF sensor against the air filter canister, and cranked the car again. It ran again at higher idle until I turned off the car. I then installed the air duct against the MAF sensor but left it open at the throttle body. I again cranked the car, and again it ran at a high idle until I turned off the car.Finally, I installed the last piece of the air duct against the throttle body. I cranked the car, and it ran for about 10 seconds before stalling as before. It acted as before and would not crank unless I gave it more gas, but would not continue to run and would bog down and stall. Seems it is not getting enough air, or the idle is off?

sounds like a vacuum leak... can you see or hear one?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car does not stay running long enough for me to hear a vacuum leak. Could not connecting the air duct tightly enough cause this?

yes it could...verify no leaks from the air filter all the way to the throttle body.