Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Yesterday my 95 c1500 5.0 started making a very noticeable

Customer Question

Yesterday my 95 c1500 5.0 started making a very noticeable clanking noise but only when warming up then when giving it throttle. Almost like what I would think pinging would sound like.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Timing is right, gas is from my regular pump, recent tune up, oil full, no check engine light, it sounds like a stone in a tin can when I press the gas and is worse or faster with higher rpms, but stops when I take my foot off the gas even when coasting at highway speed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depending on what it is, short of a complete engine overhaul or tranny rebuild
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Truck so far still runs fine, no missfire, good power. It is just so loud and sounding like crap i'm afraid to drive it in case I do more damage. Truck has 235000 miles, has a recently newer exhaust y pipe all the way back to tailpipe. Oh one more thing, when I started the truck last night when the noise started, the starter sounded funny like if I turn the ignition when truck is already running, not that I do that.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall. I am not there listening but working off your description and especially about the starter etc? everything you have mentioned and symptoms? sure sounds like a cracked flywheel. When this happens, it can be heat affected as metal contracts and expands due to temps and under load, the flywheel is torqued harder and , when cranking it can affect the way the flywheel turns in relation to the starter bendix, I really feel you have a flywheel that is cracked. It does happen and we have done many over the years,